Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

UnlockedMW for Mafia Wars is recommended by Mistyfied Mafia Wars.
Mafia Wars Toolbar


Search this Mafia Wars blog by typing your keywords below:

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Zynga Customer Support HORROR Story

This is a chat support transcript sent to me by Matt Wilkinson, and I am posting this with his permission.

When this landed in my inbox, I was thinking this was just another example of how Zynga's Customer Support placates us by finishing missions for us instead of addressing the issue at all. But at the end, it goes horribly, horribly wrong. Matt was either in shock, or is far too nice of a guy! Had it been ME on the receiving end of this chat, I would have called down nine layers of hell on this "CSR". I would have gone absolutely ballistic.Well, I can imagine a LOT of things I would have done and said, and all I can say is, it's lucky for Zynga that this happened to Matt and not me!

Mistyfied has recently been taking a look at Zynga's customer service, and we will continue doing so. Lord knows there's no shortage of material. A Zynga "Customer Support" Story and If I Was In Charge are two examples, and since these were originally posted, I've gotten many more "stories" forwarded to my inbox. It's glaringly obvious (to me, anyway) that Zynga's Customer Support needs to be reformed. And no bail outs!

Read what happened to Matt just the other day. I've posted the whole chat below that Matt sent me. After reading the first several lines, we see that Matt had a problem with 2 missions. This, sadly, is unremarkable, because many players encounter a wide range of problems with the missions in the form of bugs which are never fixed. Reading on, the customer support agent decided to just complete the missions for Matt. Long story short, by the end of the chat transcript, Matt couldn't access his game at all. In fact when he logged into Mafia Wars, it was as if he had never played before and was creating a character for the first time.

Let that sink in for a moment. *POOF* you have no Mafia Wars account suddenly.

Fortunately, we know Zynga can and sometimes does do account "rollbacks", so all was not lost for Matt, but you can well imagine that moment of shock when he logged in and realized his account was gone. What galls me is that the customer support agent just left Matt hanging, essentially. The agent made a feeble explanation (in his defense, he was probably freaking out a little on his end too), and actually seemed to be hurrying to end the chat without a resolution. He did at least assure Matt that his Mafia Wars account would be fine, but the only solution offered was that he would forward the case to someone 'with more access'.


I worked in customer service for many years, so I asked myself how I would have handled that as a customer service rep.

I imagine I would have been freaking out a little bit that I had screwed up someone's account so badly. Instead of trying to rush the customer off the line, I would have offered to stay with the customer until I at least knew definitively how and when the issue would be resolved. When I was in customer service and I screwed something up like that, I apologized profusely to the customer, put them on hold, and marched my butt directly to my manager's office or got someone somewhere on the phone to get crackin'. I kept going back to the line to give the customer updates on what was taking place. I owned that issue until it was resolved if at all possible.

But I digress. Matt tried another chat support agent after the first one rushed him off the chat, but was told nothing else could be done.

An hour and a half later, the first agent contacted him and the issue was finally resolved with apparently no harm done to his account.

As a customer who just took advantage of the 40% off of reward points last night, this situation would have me highly incensed. You be the judge.



Thank you for playing Zynga games. A representative will be with you shortly.
You are now chatting with 'Aubien R.'
Aubien R.: Hello matt! I am a Zynga Customer Support Representative. How can I help you today?
matt: Hi Aubien
matt: I am having some mission troubles
matt: one in the limited time and 1 in Brazil
Aubien R.: I see.
matt: Firstly in my Brazil mission it is asking me to complete the particular job 3 more times although I have fully completed that job 100% and then in the Limited time mission it is asking me to do a job that I have infact completed the whole region to Ruby
Aubien R.: Which mission is that, Matt? Did you try to refresh your game or played on mafiawars.com just to check if the problem still exists?
matt: I will do both now
matt: JOB: "SHOW A BUSINESS OWNER WHO'S IN CHARGE this is the limited time one and JOB: "PUSH OVER A GUN RUNNER"is the one in Brazil
Aubien R.: Okay. Matt. Please do both, I'll be here if you need help.
matt: and I have just checked on mafiawars.com and refreshed my browser while in facebook
matt: and I have the same issue
Aubien R.: I apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please provide your MW Profile Link so I can check your account?
matt: <link removed>
matt: there u go
Aubien R.: Thanks! Let me check your account for a while.
Aubien R.: Sorry for the wait!
matt: thats ok
Aubien R.: Let me just complete that requirement on your mission so you can finish it, Matt. Please check your game a few minutes after our chat for the update. Sorry about the delay.
matt: ok thank u
Aubien R.: No problem, Matt. I'm glad to have assisted you!
Aubien R.: Don't forget to check your game after our chat for your mission update.
Aubien R.: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
matt: thats all my issues that I have
Aubien R.: Thanks for contacting Zynga Customer Support. To receive an email with the transcript of our conversation, click the envelope icon and enter your email address. I would appreciate it if you fill out a short survey about your experience chatting with me. Click the red X at the top right corner of your chat window to start the survey. We value your feedback! Thanks again!
matt: they are still showing as needeing to be done
Aubien R.: Please check your game after our chat for the mission update because we're having a delay on our end right now, Matt. I apologize for the inconvenience.
matt: its not that I dont trust you but one time before a lady told me that something had been completed and it never did get done and then it took me 3 more chat sessions to get it done
Aubien R.: It's okay, Matt. I understand you very much because I also play the game.
Aubien R.: You can try to refresh your game now to check if the update's on your game now.
matt: JOB: "PUSH OVER A GUN RUNNER" in Brazil is not showing as completed the other one is
matt: on the missions
Aubien R.: I see. Let me refresh your game again.
matt: it asks to do the job 10 times but it only takes 7 to complete it too 100%
Aubien R.: Kindly refresh and check your game now, Matt.
Aubien R.: Is your mission update already, Matt?
matt: I dont know whats happening
matt: its showing me a story board then at the end asking me to enter a mafia name and press continue
matt: I have never seen this before
Aubien R.: Can you please close your game and re-open it again?
matt: it is still doing it
Aubien R.: Okay. I'll be here if you need help.
matt: please dont tell me my account has gone
Aubien R.: No worries, Matt. You're account will be fine.
matt: what do I do
matt: its still showing my the story and asking me to enter a mafia name and press continue
Aubien R.: Let me refresh your game again, Matt. I apologize for the inconvenience.
matt: ok
Aubien R.: Because I can see here that your account is still fine. You're still at level 676, still have the same items, progress on jobs, missions, achievements, etc.
Aubien R.: I think you're just having a display error, Matt. I need to report this to our team right now so that they can further check because they've more access to our system. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
matt: ok
Aubien R.: For now, please try playing on other browsers and on mafiawars.com. Also, try removing and rein-installing your game because by doing so, it updates everything in the game.
Aubien R.: By the way, if you can get a screenshot of that, it will be a big help.
matt: its doing it on mw.com
Aubien R.: You mean the same startup screen?
matt: yes
matt: I dont know how to remove and reinstall my game
Aubien R.: Okay. Just take a screenshot of that and please attach it to the email that I'll send you after our chat. To remove your game, just to to your Application Setting in Facebook and to re-install it, just press the "LIKE" button in the Mafia Wars Fan Page, just like what you did before.
Aubien R.: *just go to your Application Setting
matt: I cant find anything on facebook that says application settings
Aubien R.: To remove your MW game, just go to the "Account" option on the upper-right side of your Facebook page then click on Privacy Setting and select the "Apps and Websites".
Aubien R.: You can remove your game there, Matt.
matt: I have found it now
matt: I have removed it and installed again and still same trouble
Aubien R.: Okay. I'll add that to my report and forward it to our team no so they can start checking your account for that. Rest assured that nothing's lost on your game, Matt.
Aubien R.: Don't forget to attach your screenshot to the email that I'll send after our chat. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience.
matt: ok looks like no play for me tonight
Aubien R.: Again, I'm sorry about this, Matt.
Aubien R.: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
matt: I have sent u a e mail can you check if it has come through to u
Aubien R.: I still can't see it, Matt. Maybe it will arrive after a few minutes.
matt: ok
Aubien R.: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
matt: no thats all my problems now a whole lot worse
Aubien R.: Don't worry, we'll get this problem fixed immediately.
Aubien R.: Thanks for contacting Zynga Customer Support. To receive an email with the transcript of our conversation, click the envelope icon and enter your email address. I would appreciate it if you fill out a short survey about your experience chatting with me. Click the red X at the top right corner of your chat window to start the survey. We value your feedback! Thanks again!
matt: thank u
Aubien R.: Have a great day, Matt!
matt: and u

No comments:

Post a Comment