Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

UnlockedMW for Mafia Wars is recommended by Mistyfied Mafia Wars.
Mafia Wars Toolbar


Search this Mafia Wars blog by typing your keywords below:

Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Am A Cheater

TLDR alert! :D
I'm pretty vocal about the fact that I don't really give a fig newton who's cheating and who's not, as it rarely affects my game. I'm also pretty vocal about the fact that I think people spend too much of their time worrying about who is cheating, especially about the war loot exploit thing. That being said, it's also no secret that many people are very worked up over the subject, so regardless of my personal opinion, even I reached out and asked Zynga to do something about the problem.

The only time those dastardly Scrubbers annoy me is when they use the script to join operations, which they won't complete until the next time they happen to actually be at the computer and in the mood for some ops action. I get rid of those players because of how they affect my game and that of my friends. It sucks waiting on stalled operations.

The issue with Scrubber and the war loot is now common knowledge, but trouble with it has been brewing for a long time. One of my former friends and admins made the issue a personal crusade of his, and he was unhappy that I didn't 'support' him on the matter.
"Misty, . . .why don't you make a public statement that you believe in cheating and glitch exploits? We can pigeon-hole you next to MWLL then."
Ok then, I will, because I know he's not the only one who's wanted me to speak openly about similar topics.

You can try to pigeonhole me all you want, but as others have already found, making assumptions about me and my game made an ass out of them. That person is well aware that I didn't NOT support him, that it simply was not a personal issue of mine.We all have our issues with the game, and war loot exploits was not one of mine. That certainly doesn't mean I didn't recognize that there were others that shared his opinion.  Because I think people are too overwrought on the subject doesn't mean I approve of "glitch exploits". Me saying that people should spend less time b*tching about what others are doing and more time playing their own game does not translate to I "believe in" the war loot exploit.

I have always made it a habit to stay familiar with many of the scripts out there. I do use some scripts personally, and keep track of several other scripts for documentation and research purposes, as well as to answer the questions I frequently get asked about them. I am aware that this is against Zynga's TOS, but I don't consider this cheating. You'll never get Zynga to give blanket or specific approval of third party scripts, but I don't think even Zynga considers me to be a cheater. They've publicly said that they are aware that there are beneficial scripts.

In the years I've played Mafia Wars, I've gone through different levels of script usage. I remember back when I first discovered MWAP, I spent days fine-tuning and running it. Days at a time, sometimes. I've also done some underground script testing in the past. I'd guess those are probably my two biggest Mafia Wars transgressions - that I did at one time fully automate, and that I have used an underground script (don't ask 'cause I ain't tellin'. it was over a year ago anyway).

Automation is boring, though, because I generally like to be very involved in my game. Firstly, because I just really like playing Mafia Wars, and secondly, because I'm always posting about the game so I want to know what's going on. That's sorta the same reason I grew out of my E-ho phase. Doing the same thing over and over isn't as fun, and you give up a lot of variety in your game play because all your skill points went into energy and/or stamina.

That brings me to another area of "cheating" - multiple accounts. Oh yes, I have them, ::gasp:: My original account was all disorganized because I had no idea what I was doing when I first started playing Mafia Wars. So I made a new account, and as any of my friends and disappointed family can tell you, I started playing exclusively on the new account. Do I still have the original account? Yes, as I have all my friends and family there, but I remember to check the account maybe once a month, if that, and I can honestly say I never play Mafia Wars on that account for any reason.

I do have a "baby fighter" account, which I play with varying degrees of frequency. Since I'm trying to be completely honest, I also have various alt accounts which were and are sometimes still randomly accessed for testing or other purposes. They aren't played, and I usually only check them when I'm looking for a new feature that hasn't hit my account yet. Most of them were around before I ever played Mafia Wars, when they were used for similar purposes for another game I used to play called Knighthood.


My second account is the one where many of you first remember me from. The big level 5k+ E-ho. As I previously said, I eventually tired of the E-ho game path, and started over again almost a year ago. As most of my friends can attest, I no longer play the old E-ho account. I do sometimes access it for documentation purposes - it has 24k energy and 8k stamina, so it's great for drop rate studies.

I also dusted off the old account for the Death By Ice event. I'm told that some of the forum creepers wanted to know what my thoughts about the {ASS} debacle was, as it's no secret that I was originally an {ASS}. Oh I'll be happy to tell you - the whole situation seriously pissed me off. I was hugely annoyed that certain clan players decided that new redtag groups were "fake", alleging that the formation of such groups was an insult to the game. I disagree - I'm not in a clan, but I thought the idea of a group put together specifically to compete in the Death By Ice event sounded fun! I thought the Assassin-a-nators group name and tag were funny. I have no problem with people using Assassin-a-nator, and I use it some myself.

image from MWLootLady
It never occurred to me that other players would actually organize pages against the {ASS}es, that people would virtually lie to my face, and exaggerate about things that were being said and done. While a lot of people didn't like the {ASS} or similar groups for various reasons, the big hullabaloo was the machination of only a few instigators. I was so thoroughly disgusted with the behavior of other people that I just stopped playing. That was the first night of event. I was later told that I was removed from the group since I wasn't playing, and that was fine by me.

As to all the things that followed, I can't really speak specifically about them, as I wasn't involved in it. Setting up auto-healing minis wasn't an idea that occurred to me and likely isn't something I would have bothered with. I can understand why some people were upset about that point.

I'm sure I would have used Assassin-a-nator some, but as others have tried to prove and failed, I don't do a lot of automation. I do a lot of fighting manually, and also use Assassin-a-nator to run out my stamina, depending on my inclination. I don't leave scripts running overnight or even for extended periods of time, and I don't consider my moderate use of such scripts to be cheating. I don't really care how much or for what purpose other people are using scripts, as long as it doesn't affect me. And it usually doesn't.

So there you have it, all my dirty little secrets. Enjoy. I hope you're happy now.


4 comments:

  1. Misty, it takes guts to stand up like you have done. Like you, I've seen a lot of people spreading mis-information about various aspects of the game and scripts, like one today who said that those who used Brawler only had themselves to blame for the war loot problem -- umm, Brawler has nothing to do with wars! I used MWAP for a while, but didn't like how it took away the fun of playing the game and how it would do things I didn't really want just because I didn't change some setting for a mission. Up until MWAP broke with FF4, I would only use it for the mundane tasks of helping via the in-game news feed and collecting properties. Because of you, I found FBMWAddon, which has helped make gift list posting much easier than I had been doing before. I help out everyone as much as I can (although some, like you, already have so many helpers that I rarely get the opportunity to help them), and I play several times each day. I don't consider these scripts to be cheating, because all they do is click instead of me, and since I have carpal tunnel syndrome, clicking for a long time causes me physical pain. The bottom line is that I play Mafia Wars because I want to and because (for now, at least) it's fun, and if I want to use a script to help out with in-game tasks, then I will. If any of my mafia want to drop me because of it (and some have), well, that's their prerogative, and their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long may you run, Misty!

    Michael J. Fumando y familia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont care what the hell anyone does, it's a bleedin game, as long as y'all treat me and mine well, then it's all good. I could understand the people that spend their hard earned getting in a state about stuff, but that's about it really _ maybe I dont take it seriously enough, I'm definitely not as hard core as alot of the players I've come across, I only really get wound up if I get bashed up and I've been stupid enough not to blow my stamina and health first so I get my money pinched while I'm doing it *rolleyes* - I dunno, I just have different priorities I guess, for me MW is a way of killing time and getting away from the 'real' stress that surrounds me.

    All that said, each to their own and all that, everything is as important as you wanna make it and far be it from me to tell anyone what to do or how to think - I just think it's a damn shame that something like this can ruin friendships.

    So, to summarise (lol) I dont give a monkey's what anyone does, as long as you're all healthy and happy and no one is a fucker to me :D

    There are some very cool people around that I've had the pleasure of chatting to, just because of this game, and that's the best part of it for me :)

    I dunno how to faff around with this thing so I'll just add, this is me, Nic, and I'm dead grateful to a couple of people that over time and really helped me in the game ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me sad to see how this game has ruined friendship. Even I do mind people using scripts abusively I don't take initiatives to do anything because it is who that are at loss and not me. Game is meant to enjoy and the only reason for me to leave the reason could be either I am not enjoying it or I am busy with my college.

    ReplyDelete